Friday, September 12, 2008

Red Fish Fishing....day before Ike

The house is all boarded up and nothing to do but wait, so I went fishing. I met Jerry from Jerry B's kayak shop at a secret location and we went off stalking some Red Fish. The water is a couple of feet higher than normal from Ike's storm surge so the fish have moved into some new areas. We paddled down wind for an hour or so stalking the banks and the shallow for fish when we spotted a couple feeding almost on shore. When the water is that shallow you don't see the typical Red Fish tails sticking out of the water, but instead you see their backs out of the water. They call this Humping. Whatever they call it we saw fish and started casting some gold spoons their way. The fish didn't respond to the spoons but they also didn't get spooked from our lures splashing next to them. After changing baits and tactics we moved along to some other areas in hopes of better luck. Jerry said that sometimes with drastic water fluctuations the fish will get "lock jaw" and nothing will work. Well all the fish we saw today seemed to have "lock jaw" and we didn't get one to bite. The good part is that I was shown an area that is close enough to paddle to but hidden from most power boats, so I should have some great fish stalking there in the future.

Lee

No comments: